Sahara Desert Camp short breaks:accommodation, camel trek, and safaris
Near Zagora, at Tagounit area, is a Luxury Private Tented Wilderness Camp. In the deep south of Morocco in the region of Mhamid – the Sahara Desert is a beguiling wilderness of palm-filled oases, vast sand dunes, ancient lake-beds, camel caravans and men in blue. Off-the-beaten-track and accessible only by camel or 4×4 it is here that the stylish Sahara Safari Camp is located. Only available on a private rental basis as well per tent, guests are assured of true solitude in their own exclusive luxury camp in the Moroccan Sahara desert.
From Marrakech or Ouarzazate the Sahara Safari Camp can be reached in a day by 4×4 on a long (but scenically diverse) drive through the High Atlas to Ouarzazate and along the palm-filled plantations and fields of the Draa Valley to Zagora on the fringe of the Sahara. If flying into Ouarzazate, the camp can be reached in half a day (about 5 hrs).
The camp features 4 spacious nomad-style “walk-in” tents, 2 with double beds and 2 with twin beds. Duvets with Egyptian cotton covers and sheets offer warmth and comfort on chilly Saharan nights under an African sky full of shooting stars and distant moons. Each tent has an inner cotton lining and groundsheet covered with locally-made carpets, armchair seats with cushions, a table and mirror. Hanging rails and chests provide storage space. Camel leather wash-stands are filled with hot water on request.
Hot showers can be enjoyed in the privacy of two shower tents under 20-liter canvas “bush showers”. Two chemical toilets are available for guest use. A solar panel harnesses energy from the sun, ensuring a noise-free environment, hot water and power for re-charging batteries. Solar-powered lanterns and candles are used in tandem to create atmospheric evenings in camp. A camp fire is de-rigueur.
Meals are enjoyed either alfresco or inside a dining tent which also doubles as a “salon” for convivial social gatherings to perhaps enjoy a bottle or two of the local “Sahara Reserve” wine, perhaps a fine champagne or pot of mint tea. All meals are freshly prepared in a traditional Moroccan style with a choice of meat and vegetarian tagines and couscous for dinner, salads or picnics for lunch (depending on the activity of the day) and Moroccan pancakes, freshly baked bread, local jam and honey for breakfast.
Bounded by the Moroccan Sahara Desert, the Sahara Safari Camp is set in a wilderness location with incredibly varied landscapes. Short excursions can be taken to nearby small oases and dunes in your 4×4 vehicle. Alternatively relax in camp, explore on foot or take a camel ride. Star-gaze at night and enjoy the setting and rising sun. Quad-bikes can be hired in Mhamid.
The camp is open from October to May and closes from June to September to avoid the sweltering heat of the summer. Do bear in mind that winter nights can be cold (the cosy duvets will keep you warm), and that Christmas / New Year is extremely popular. If you enjoy local markets try and stay on a Monday that is a market day in Mhamid.
The camp appeals to travelers who seek a high degree of privacy. Big enough to accommodate a private group of 8 guests traveling in two 4×4 vehicles, the camp can also be booked by couples or family groups.
Nearby attractions and activities:
- The majestic Cheggaga dunes
- The longest and most beautiful oasis drive through the Draa valley
- Mhamid area
- Tamegrout old library
- Draa river bank and its palm oases
- Ouarzazate and its film studios
- Djebel Bani and Iriqqi plateau.
- About 25 km from M’hamid
- 240 km from Ouarzazate
- 490 km from Marrakech airport or hotel.
- 62 km from Zagora
- n the heart of Nesrat Dunes/ Draa valley.
From time to time, as mentioned in our booking conditions and general information, property owners and management may undertake maintenance work, refurbishments and improvements to their property. Whilst we endeavor to keep our information up to date changes may inevitably occur. To get the most out of your travel experience to Morocco, you should be prepared to be accommodating and flexible where necessary. Please contact us to seek clarification about any specific facilities that are of particular importance to you.
- This is a child friendly camp
- Smoking is allowed
- Pets are not allowed for all sorts of reasons.
- 60.00 Euros per person (based on 4 people)minimum 2 nights
- 65.00 Euros per person (based on 3 people)minimum 2 nights
- 70.00 Euros per person (based on 2 people)minimum 2 nights
Prices for other group sizes available on request!
- Tented Suites: 4
- Shower Tents: 2, bush showers over duckboards
- Toilet Tents: 2, with chemical toilets
- Double Beds: 2
- Single Beds: 4
- Dining Tent: Also alfresco
- Solar Power: Plus candle lamps at night
- Campfire: Using renewable wood
- Camp Staff: 3, camp manager and assistants
- Meals: Local Moroccan cuisine
- Beverages: Local wine and beer, water and soft drinks.
- Camel trekking tours in the desert (meharee)
- 4×4 desert exploration
What you could do while there?
- Excursion to dunes of Chegaga
- Desert nature walks
- Quad-bike tours from M’hamid/ Nesrat dunes near Tagounit
- Nomad encounters
- Visit to and stroll around oases and local villages
- Magical night-time star-gazing.